Brown Butter Spice Cake
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 50 mins
Recipe published with permission from Nourishing Holiday
For the cake:
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour blanched
- ½ cup honey for sugar-free substitute 1/3 cup xylitol, 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract, and 2 tablespoons of almond or cashew milk
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup butter + more for greasing cake pan; replace with ghee for casein-free option and skip browning step.
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup raw honey for sugar-free substitute for 3 tablespoons of xylitol, 1/16 teaspoon pure stevia extract, and 1 Tablespoon of cashew or almond milk
- ¼ cup butter Replace with ghee for casein-free option and skip browning step.
- ¼ cup cream cheese Omit for dairy-free and increase cashew milk to ¼ cup.
- 1 tablespoon cashew milk almond milk can be substituted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°.
Grease an 8” cake pan and line with parchment paper.
In a small saucepan, brown ½ cup butter: turn the burner on medium-high and keep a close eye to be sure it doesn’t burn, which will result in a bitter-tasting glaze. When butter turns brown and smells caramel-y, take it off the burner to cool.
Make the cake:
In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, and cardamom.
In a separate bowl, combine eggs and honey and use a hand mixer to mix on high for one minute, until frothy.
Add egg mixture and ¼ cup brown butter to coconut flour mixture and mix on high with a hand mixer until batter is smooth.
Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a platter and drizzling with glaze.
Make the glaze:
In the container of a high-powered blender, blend cashews, honey, cream cheese, cashew milk, vanilla, and remaining ¼ cup brown butter until smooth.
Pour evenly over cake and dust with cinnamon, if desired.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 310mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 479IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg