This Brown Butter Spice Cake is 100% grain-free (and you can easily make it sugar-free and dairy-free too, if you’d like). That means no reaction from grains and sugar!
Can I just be honest? Sticking with a strict diet through the holidays used to sound like no fun to me. Sometimes I just want to indulge. But anytime I do, I pay for it—tummy aches, foggy brain, body aches, and a general BLAH feeling.
I’m excited to share this recipe with you because you can indulge your taste buds, but you won’t have to experience the same consequences. This recipe is both nourishing and delicious.
The browned butter adds a caramel-y depth of flavor to this spice cake. It makes a perfect warm dessert, snack, or even breakfast. And you don’t even have to feel guilty eating it for breakfast or giving it to your kids in the morning!
My friend Jaclyn has created a healthy holiday recipe book, full of foods that you can enjoy for every celebration (not just Christmas)!
I’ve already started trying out some of the recipes in this cookbook and am excited to try even more. You better bet some of them will be on our table for our Christmas celebrations!
Nourishing Holiday contains over 50 GAPS diet-friendly, grain-free, gut-healing recipes that your family will love!
Nourishing Holiday contains staples that will help you learn how to make basics like perfect cauli-rice and homemade cream cheese, plus simple, flavorful recipes that will blow your guests away, including pecan pie and honey “wheat” dinner rolls. Your guests won’t even know how healthy and healing these foods really are!
By removing problematic ingredients like grains, refined sugars, and processed dairy, we can focus on gut-healthy ingredients like meat stock, vegetables, pastured meats, crispy nuts, and good fats. These are the ingredients that lead to health, and they are the only kinds of ingredients you’ll find in Nourishing Holiday.
To celebrate the release of Nourishing Holiday, Jaclyn’s letting me share a recipe from the book.
Brown Butter Spice Cake
This flavorful cake, full of warm, sweet spices, uses no special ingredients and can be made dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, and even sugar-free! It’s a delightful dessert but is healthy enough for breakfast, too. Enjoy with coffee, tea, or a big glass of raw milk!
Brown Butter Spice Cake
For the cake:
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour blanched
- ½ cup honey for sugar-free substitute 1/3 cup xylitol, 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract, and 2 tablespoons of almond or cashew milk
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup butter + more for greasing cake pan; replace with ghee for casein-free option and skip browning step.
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup raw honey for sugar-free substitute for 3 tablespoons of xylitol, 1/16 teaspoon pure stevia extract, and 1 Tablespoon of cashew or almond milk
- ¼ cup butter Replace with ghee for casein-free option and skip browning step.
- ¼ cup cream cheese Omit for dairy-free and increase cashew milk to ¼ cup.
- 1 tablespoon cashew milk almond milk can be substituted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease an 8” cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, brown ½ cup butter: turn the burner on medium-high and keep a close eye to be sure it doesn’t burn, which will result in a bitter-tasting glaze. When butter turns brown and smells caramel-y, take it off the burner to cool.
Make the cake:
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs and honey and use a hand mixer to mix on high for one minute, until frothy.
- Add egg mixture and ¼ cup brown butter to coconut flour mixture and mix on high with a hand mixer until batter is smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a platter and drizzling with glaze.
Make the glaze:
- In the container of a high-powered blender, blend cashews, honey, cream cheese, cashew milk, vanilla, and remaining ¼ cup brown butter until smooth.
- Pour evenly over cake and dust with cinnamon, if desired.
If enjoy this Brown Butter Spice Cake as much as I do, you’ll love the more than 50 other recipes in this book, including Candied Nuts, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Golden Hot Chocolate, and Carrot Souffle.