Gardening is like any other hobby or life skill, it can get expensive as you buy equipment and tools. To help your garden budget, I’ve assembled some great DIY projects for gardeners who are willing to put some time out to save some money.
Some of these projects can be made with reclaimed lumber (check Craigslist) or other items you may have around already. Others will require you to pick up some supplies. How you prioritize your DIY projects is up to you, but I do hope you find at least one that will make your gardening life a little easier.
- Potting Soil Mix – If you have a lot of containers, you may be able to save money and get better soil by mixing up your own potting soil.
- Make Plant Row Markers – Sure, you can use the generic sticks you find at the store, but these are much more colorful and a great way to involve your kids in your garden.
- Seedling Planters – Starting from seeds is a great way to save money, but you may find the cost of trays and cells to be too much. No worries, just make your own seedling planters.
- DIY Trellises – Trellises are great for vining plants like some beans (called pole beans verses bush beans).
- Woven Bamboo Trellis – Use these for a variety of vining plants.
- Homemade Hot Pepper Spray – This is a great natural way to help keep pest populations controlled without chemical pesticides.
Garden Beds & Containers
- Square Foot Gardening Beds – Square foot gardening is a popular way to grow more food in less space, this post has a quick tutorial
- Potatoes in a Box – Tips for using a wooden box to grow your potatoes also included.
- Hanging Gutter Garden – This is a great way to garden if you do not have any ground to work with. It’s also a handy way to grow your salad greens, just make sure you remember to water them!
- DIY Planters – You can make your own planters from tree stumps!
- Grape Arbor – Build a sturdy grape arbor and grow your own grapes.
- Underground Greenhouse – This type of greenhouse may not work in all areas and will require a decent amount of work up front, but the results should be well worth the effort.
- Umbrella Greenhouse – These little greenhouses are easily stored and take little space.
- DIY Bamboo Greenhouse – A simple greenhouse design.
- Hoop House Greenhouse – Another simple design that the author built for less than $50.
- DIY Cold Frames – Cold frames are a simple way to extend your gardening season.
Garden Equipment & Tools
- DIY Compost Bin – Composting your kitchen and yard waste is a great way to improve your garden’s soil.
- Rain Collection Barrel – Make your own rain water collection barrel. Just make sure that’s legal in your area first.
- Grow Light Shelving – To make seed starting an easier task.
- Irrigation System for Raised Beds – Make watering your raised beds a breeze.
- Soaker Hose – Make your own soaker hose.
Flowers & Garden Decor
- Flower Towers – Make an impressive flower display for your front porch or anywhere you want to make a flower-y statement.
- Rock Fountain – Add a water feature to your garden.
If you would like some more ideas, check out the book DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle there are several garden related ones in there with great directions.
Do you have a favorite DIY project for gardeners? Share it in the comments!