Summer is the perfect time for potlucks and picnics. And coleslaw has long been an American favorite dish for those special occasions. This Creamy Parmesan Coleslaw is an easy, real food version sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Looking for gluten-free recipes and resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.
Before we delve into the deliciousness of this recipe, I have a confession to make: I don’t like coleslaw. I’ve been to my fair share of potlucks and plenty of picnics and family reunions full of favorites like cornbread, BBQ chicken, apple pie, and lemonade, but I’ve never been able to stand coleslaw.
Maybe I just needed to *ahem* mature a little, or maybe there’s just something to making it myself that allows me to fully savor every ingredient.
This version of the classic boasts one of my favorite things in the food-world: Parmesan cheese. 😀
Seriously, I could eat it on almost everything.
I also added some cucumbers to make my kiddos happy, and used some of my easy homemade mayonnaise as a dressing with the sour cream. To give it the healthy, vinegary taste, I threw in some kombucha I had in my fridge. You can use apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar, if you don’t have any kombucha.
Creamy Parmesan Coleslaw
- 1/2 large head of cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 cucumber, thinly diced
- 1 t. kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 T. kombucha, apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1 t. parsley
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
- Combine veggies in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Stir and let set while combining dressing.
- Stir together mayo and sour cream until creamy.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Stir into salad.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in a covered container.