This Slow Cooker Taco Soup recipe is the perfect comfort food recipe for dinner when you are too busy to fuss. You can alter the spiciness of the soup to suit your family’s needs. Have creative fun with the toppings, or use this soup as the perfect opportunity to use up leftovers!
We have had an amazing fall this year. I am so thankful to have had extra time enjoying some sunshine and playing outside with the boys before winter sets in. In fact, as I write this the weather forecast is calling for snow this weekend.
Slow Cooker Taco Soup: A Family-Friendly Meal
One of my staple foods in the fall and winter is a big pot of soup. Soup is perfect for warming and filling the bellies of my never-full kids. Soup is a great way to pack in nutrients while stretching out food to help with the budget.
My soups always start with a base of bone broth. Bone broth is a great way to get minerals and vitamins into your kids. We don’t go a day without it. It’s easy to make and freeze so you can always have a supply on hand. This also makes up for the days I’m a bit short on meat because I know it is providing fuel for the kid’s bodies.
I also load up soups with vegetables. Cooked vegetables are often easier for kids to eat, especially if they deal with sensory/texture issues. Both of my kids will tell you they don’t like cooked peppers, however, friends, there are a lot of cooked peppers in this soup and they ate it right up without noticing. For real.
While I often make this taco soup in the slow cooker on days when we have errands to run and I want to come home to a warm meal, it works just as well on the stove.
Slow cookers are seriously amazing tools. I don’t know how moms make it without them. It really helps when I know I don’t have time to devote to a big meal yet need to make a nutritious dinner .
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 4 cups bone broth or stock
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes either canned or fresh
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons taco seasonings*
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients, except meat in the crock pot and turn on low.
- Let cook for about 6-8 hours, adding the meat in the last hour.
- Check to see if it needs more salt (often depends on your taco blend).
- Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese or any other taco toppings.
- *I use an all natural, organic blend but if you don't have one add cumin, salt, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder to equal 4 tbsp.
If you are on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, this is slow cooker taco soup is great because if you used ground turkey this is a fuel pull. To change fuels, add ground beef for an S meal and serve with sour cream, guacamole and cheese. If you want to make it an E, add some beans and use the ground turkey while avoiding high-fat toppings (stick with fat-free Greek yogurt and extra veggies).
So, keep warm, my friends and enjoy this nourishing, fun taco soup for the family on those cold days.
What are some of your favorite cold weather, go-to meals?
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup
- Hearty Potato, Ham, and Pumpkin Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup with Bacon