So, you’ve decided to cut gluten or maybe all grains in your kids’ diet (or maybe you’ve just determined to cut back on them), but whatever in the world will you feed them for snacks? Crackers, tortilla chips, muffins, cookies, granola bars…virtually all snacks seem to have some sort of grain in them.
Not so, my dear friend, not so. I’ve compiled a list of 101 snack ideas that are gluten-free and grain-free. Both you and your kids can enjoy these!
The snacks are divided up into categories: fruity & veggie snacks, crunchy snacks, dips, crackers and other fun dippers, sweet snacks, muffins & more, homemade puddings etc., cookies & bars, smoothies, healthy pre-packaged snacks, and other stuff. Hopefully there is something here to fit your every snack craving!
News Flash (time sensitive)!
For the third year in a row, we’ve partnered with a number of other authors on an exciting project – The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle. Brainy Breakfasts, our grain-free cookbook, is included in this bundle of resources. In fact, there’s over $2,400 worth of resources in the bundle. Plus there’s over $250 in bonus products that are delivered to you – things like laundry detergent, maca powder, $15 store credits to some of my favorite companies. (expires the end of the day Monday, September 26th)
Check out some of the other delicious gluten-free and grain-free books in the bundle below!
Fruity & Veggie Snacks
Of course, any raw fruit or veggie makes a yummy snack. Our kids love fruit. Here are a few ideas to spice things up if you’re looking for something different.
1. Dried Fruit
2. Apples with peanut butter
5. Strawberries and homemade whipped cream
6. Celery and cream cheese
8. Homemade Fruit Snacks (kind of like a Fruit Rollup, only healthy)
9. Apple Chips
11. Bananas with Peanut Butter and Raisins
Sometimes ya just have to have something that has some crunch. These are sure to satisfy your crunchy addiction!
13. Maple Roasted Walnuts (recipes for plain, cinnamon vanilla, or curried)
14. Trail mix (this is one recipe, but the possibilities are endless)
Creamy. Cheesy. Sweet. Salty. I love dips. It’s not hard to come up with dip ideas if you’re gluten-free, but here are a few of my favorites. Coming up with dippers when you don’t eat grains can be a bit trickier. Many of these recipes will work well with fresh veggies or fruits, but don’t forget to see my dipper ideas below.
16. Dill Dip
17. Hummus (my kids are crazy about hummus)
21. Kalamata Spread
22. Spicy Chive dip
24. Nacho Not-Cheese Sauce (dairy free)
25. Sombrero Dip
26. Pepper Dip
Crackers and Other Fun Dippers
Looking for hearty grain-free dippers to use in place of crackers or tortilla chips? Look no further! One of these 7 recipes are sure to suit your needs.
27. Raw Kale Crisps
29. Parmesan Crisps
If you have a sweet tooth and are looking for candy or other sweet treats, this is the section for you. Most of these recipes are made with natural sugar alternatives such as honey, maple syrup, or stevia.
34. Homemade Fudgesicles (dairy-free & sugar-free too!)
37. Cocoa Crack (Healthy Chocolate Candy)
43. Fried Plantains
46. Raw Cookie Dough Bites (because, who doesn’t love cookie dough?!)
Muffins & More
Just because you’re not eating grains doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in bread, like muffins, scones, and biscuits!
48. Cinnamon Muffins (this recipe is one of our family favorites!)
50. Cheesy Biscuits (I love making a double or triple recipe for dinner so we have extras to snack on the next day)
53. Raspberry Scones
Homemade Puddings etc.
These would make the perfect after-dinner or bedtime snack. Easy to whip up and sure to delight your tastebuds!
58. Chocolate Mousse
60. Homemade Jello
61. Banana Custard
Cookies and Bars
Your kids don’t have to give up cookies and bars just because they are gluten-free. Oh no. This list of 17 recipes proves that. Perfect recipes for that after-school snack 🙂
67. PB& J Bars
*For more homemade protein-packed bars check out the book High Protein, No Powder.
My kids love smoothies! Whipping them up in my Blendtec blender makes them especially easy. If yours like them too, here’s some smoothie inspiration.
*For more homemade protein-packed smoothies check out the book High Protein, No Powder.
Healthy Pre-Packaged Snacks
Though I’d rather make everything from scratch, sometimes I need a grab-and-go snack or a healthy mix that I can whip up quickly. These aren’t easy to come by. Most grab-and-go snacks and mixes are filled with grains, sugar, soy, and more. Here’s a list of snacks you can fill your pantry with for times when you don’t have the time or energy to whip up a homemade treat.
85. Nicks Beef or Turkey Sticks (My family absolutely loves these sticks made from grass-fed beef and free-range turkey.)
86. Lara Bars
87. Quest Bars (these are some of my favorite sugar-free packaged protein bars!)
88. Organic No-sugar Added Applesauce (I especially like to get them in the squeeze pouches for easy on-the-go snacks!)
89. Organic Yogurt
90. String Cheese
92. Chocolate Muffin Mix from Simple Mills (You will not believe that these mixes are made from 100% healthy ingredients. They are that good!)
96. Peanuts (the little packets are so easy to throw in the diaper bag or purse)
97. Raisins (I like the little boxes of these to throw in my purse or diaper bag too)
These are the snacks that just didn’t fit in any of the other categories. Don’t miss out on them though, they’re tasty and make great snacks too!
98. Homemade Yogurt (My kids can eat boat-loads of this. Their favorite way to eat it is mixed with some pureed fruit and vanilla stevia or with a little bit of honey. But you can mix lots of things with homemade yogurt or make fruit and yogurt parfaits.)
99. Hard boiled eggs
100. Deviled eggs
Extra Bonus when you buy the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle!
As an extra special thank you, when you purchase this bundle from my site I’d like to send you three of my favorite essential oil blend. These will be sent pre-diluted in a 10mL roller bottle and ready to use! I love throwing these roller bottles in my purse so I can have them on the go. You’ll receive the following blends:
- OnGuard Protective Blend – perfect for boosting your immune system!
- Breathe Respiratory Blend
- Mental Focus Blend
What’s the catch? Do I have to pay oodles in shipping? No catch. No shipping charges. We’ll send it to you completely free.
The only thing you have to do is be sure you purchase The Bundle using our affiliate links (you can always clear your cookies and then click one of the links below to make sure you’re purchasing through our links).
That’s it. After you purchase your bundle, just fill out this form after you’ve purchased the bundle so I can get these bonuses to you!
This bonus is only available to those living in the United States (apologies to my friends abroad, but the shipping would kill me).