There’s nothing quite like a flavorful, filling stew at the end of a long day. Easy prep and short cook time elevate this pork and sweet potato stew to the next level for dinner options. Did I mention this recipe cooks in one pot?
This one-pot spicy pork and sweet potato stew can be prepped, cooked, and on your dinner table in only 35 minutes! I don’t know about you, but this is dinner bliss for me.
While I do love a good soup, a stew is a great alternative for dinner, all on its own. In case you weren’t already on board to try this tasty meal, let’s talk about the amazing ingredients.
Pork tenderloin is the star of this show, and is so, so good at its job. Since tenderloin is just that, tender, it cooks quite a bit quicker than tougher cuts of meat, and is fantastic for meals that you just don’t have hours to devote to.
This tender cut of meat also does a fantastic job of really highlighting the spices in this recipe. Cumin, chili powder, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes blend together to form a perfectly spicy, and delicious stew.
You won’t be left still feeling hungry at the end of a bowl of the stew. No sir. This stew is filling, because it’s full of protein with pork, black beans, and veggies!
The Superfood Benefits of Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
Sweet potatoes for a lot of families are an ingredient that only makes their way onto the table during the Thanksgiving season, but sweet potatoes have more than seasonal taste to offer.
Did you know that sweet potatoes are considered a “superfood?” Because this root veggie is so jam-packed with nutrients and antioxidants, it’s considered to be one of the healthiest, helpful foods you can eat. Antioxidants are important for our bodies because they help keep us healthy by preventing disease and cell damage. Great reason to sneak it into more recipes beyond the obligatory Thanksgiving sweet potatoes 😉
Carotenoids, such as beta carotene, found in sweet potatoes are not only what gives the vegetable it’s signature orange color but is an antioxidant that passes benefits to our bodies when consumed.
Beyond the antioxidants, you’ll find a huge range of vitamins and minerals from this plant, including:
- Vitamins B, C, D
There’s no question as to why the sweet potato made the superfood list, and it’s a clear choice when deciding what ingredients to incorporate into mealtime.
One Pot Spicy Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
- 4 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onion diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2.5 pounds pork tenderloin cut into 1” cubes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 14 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped, divided
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently until the veggies soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add pork tenderloin and sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat begins to brown, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans and spices and stir to combine. Cook for another 30 seconds, or just until the spices become fragrant. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Add crushed tomatoes and chicken stock and increase heat to high. Bring to boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until pork is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Stir in 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Top with remaining fresh parsley for garnish and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Looking for more sweet potato recipes?
You might enjoy some of my fave sweet potato recipes. These are all fantastic ways for sneaking more of this amazing super food into your family’s diet!
- Curried Sweet Potato Soup (love the spices in this recipe!)
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili
- Quick & Easy Sweet Potato Hash (one of my fave meals for those super busy nights when I don’t have much time to get something healthy on the table)
- Sweet Potato Pancakes