Sometimes, you need some cheer in your life in the form of a Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake.
Several years ago, I decided that I needed to go gluten-free. It was a sad day.
Then, I decided my whole family needed to go gluten-free. That was a sadder day.
Why? Because as most of you mamas know, it’s one thing to cut things out of your own diet, but to try to take some of your children’s most beloved food from them is just down-right gut-wrenching (pun intended).
Looking for gluten-free recipes and resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.
I searched. I searched the Internet for healthy, grain-free, nourishing foods. I stumbled on Kelly’s website, The Nourishing Home. I was so excited. Real foods, using real ingredients, with no grains, that looked (and I soon found, more importantly, tasted) delicious!
Kelly is a genius in the kitchen. She is my food blogger idol :). Of course, when I found out she was going to have a traditionally published real cookbook, I was excited to have the chance to get a copy to check out (and I purchased an advanced copy as a Christmas gift for my mom, too).
Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Baked goods are definitely the trickiest type of food to navigate when you’re avoiding grains. Never fear. With Kelly’s help, you’ll be gracing your families dinner table with delicious breads, cookies, cakes, and more! Whether your whole family is grain-free or not, they’ll all be asking for more.
• Everyday Grain-Free Baking includes more than 100 irresistible recipes that are compatible with the most common grain-free diets, i.e. Paleo, Primal, SCD and GAPS.
• Everyday Grain-Free Baking includes delicious, easy-to-make recipes that grain-free, starch-free, refined-sugar-free and dairy-free, or contain dairy-free options so they can easily be converted as such.
• Everyday Grain-Free Baking shows you how to make delicious grain-free, dairy-free baked goods that your whole family will enjoy—whether or not everyone is living a grain-free lifestyle!
As we all know, this can be especially challenging when some members of your family are living grain-free, while other members of your family are not. Finding recipes that will work for everyone that actually taste amazing is what Everyday Grain-Free Baking is all about!
Besides this recipe for Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake, here’s a quick overview of what you’ll find in Everyday Grain-Free Baking:
• More than 100 delicious, easy-to-make recipes that are gluten-free, grain-free starch-free, refined-sugar-free and dairy-free, or contain dairy-free options.
• My Journey to Healing is Kelly’s personal story shared to inspire those suffering from chronic illnesses that there is hope!
• Why Bake Grain-Free? outlines the many benefits of grain-free baking.
• Strategies for Maximizing Success features Kelly’s personal tips for ensuring that all of your grain-free baking adventures receive rave reviews!
• My Grain-Free Kitchen includes an overview of the key ingredients that make grain-free baking a success, as well as recommendations for helpful baking essentials.
• Tips & Tidbits and Recipe Variations are included throughout the book to make each recipe a snap – and provide you with even more options for making amazing grain-free baked goods that taste just like traditional favorites!
Grain-Free Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Kelly has graciously given me permission to share with you one of my favorite recipes from her cookbook. I haven’t had a chance to try all of the recipes (I’ll get there, just give me time). The recipes I’ve tried have not been a disappointment.
I hope you enjoy this little morsel of goodness (Cinnamon Crumb Cake!) from Everyday Grain-Free Baking!
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Option)
- 1 tablespoon butter melted (or coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnut pieces finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted (or coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 315°F. Lightly oil a 9x9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- For the Topping: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Add the finely chopped walnuts and toss well to combine. Set aside.
- For the Cinnamon Swirl: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Set aside.
- For the Cake: In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs and egg whites to the top of the dry ingredients in the order given. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process until the batter is smooth and creamy (about 20–25 seconds).
- Add the eggs and egg whites. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process just enough to blend the eggs into the batter (about 10–15 seconds). Use a thin spatula as needed to scrape down the sides.
- Carefully spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the top.
- Drizzle with the cinnamon swirl across the top of the batter. Then carefully spoon the remaining cake batter on top. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the batter. Next, starting at the edges of the cake, crumble the topping evenly across the cake. Use your fingers to gently press the topping into the batter a bit.
- Bake the cake for 45–55 minutes until light golden brown along edges and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool about 5-10 minutes. Then serve warm with your favorite coffee or tea.
If you loved this Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake, you’ll also love these recipes:
- Blueberry Coconut Coffee Cake
- Applesauce Muffins with Streusel (sugar-free, gluten-free)
- Cinnamon Muffins (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes (gluten-free, sugar-free)
If you’re looking for some new inspiration and a beautiful cookbook, be sure to grab a copy on Amazon!