One sure-fire way I’ve found to get my kids to eat more veggies is to add cheese. Cheese and vegetables. Vegetables and cheese. This easy, cheesy vegetable chowder recipe is no exception!
Packed with vegetables, this chowder nourishes the body and makes the taste-buds happy. It’s a win-win for moms and kiddos.
While, I’ve included directions for our favorite version of this recipe, you can certainly swap out the vegetables for others that are your family’s favorites.
About the Chicken Broth
While you can just buy a box of the pre-made broth from the store, I’d urge you to consider making your own bone broth (I have a super-easy recipe for bone broth).
Bone broth is easy to make and will nourish your families body much more than store-bought broth. It’s great for gut health, joints, and more. I make large batches at one time and freeze for later use in soups, sauteeing veggies, and more.
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon potato starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté over medium heat until tender.
- Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mix potato starch with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
- Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through.
- Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
Looking for some more tasty soups? Check out these…
- Broccoli Cheese Soup with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Hearty Potato, Ham, and Pumpkin Soup
- Simple Butternut Squash Soup
What are some of your family’s favorite soups?