With summer right around the corner, homemade Apple Cider Fruit Snacks are an easy go-to when my kids are hungry in the middle of the day. They’re simple, healthy, and as an added bonus, I don’t have to turn on the oven to make them!
Since becoming a mom a few years ago, it’s been my goal to fill my kiddos’ tummies with the healthiest foods available. And even though they’re an American favorite, fruit snacks were never on my list.
Looking for gluten-free recipes and resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.
Just one look at the back of the box and it was promptly returned to the grocery store shelf. Take a look at these ingredients from a popular fruit snack brand and you’ll see why:
“Corn syrup, sugar, apple puree concentrate, water, modified corn starch, gelatin, contains 2% or less of citric acid, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), natural and artificial flavors, yellow 5, red 40, sodium citrate, blue 1.”
Yikes. Definitely not a list of things I want to be putting in my kiddos!
Good thing for me – and all you other health conscious moms out there – fruit snacks are super easy to make yourself! For these tasty little Apple Cider Fruit Snacks I just combined my homemade apple cider with some applesauce, a little honey, and gelatin. Easy peasy! (If you’re fresh out of apple cider, it’s easy to make, or you could just use apple juice.)
Apple Cider Fruit Snacks
- 1 cup chilled apple cider I use my homemade version, but feel free to use whatever kind you want - or even just apple juice!
- 1 cup plain applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain grass-fed gelatin
- 2-3 tablespoons honey optional
- In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over apple cider. Let stand until fully soaked (about 5-10 minutes).
- Turn heat to low and gently whisk until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Stir in honey, then pour mixture into blender along with applesauce and puree until combined (you don't have to puree it together, you can just mix it, but the texture won't be as smooth).
- Pour into a 13x9 inch baking dish and refrigerate until set (about 2-3 hours).
- Cut into little squares and store in the fridge.
For more tasty, easy, summer-time snacks, try these:
- Homemade Sugar-Free Fudgesicles
- Easy Strawberry Fruit Snacks
- Pumpkin Pie Gummies
- Coconut & Watermelon Popsicles
- Honey Orange Fruit Snacks