Is your herb garden in full force yet? Are those tomatoes ripening yet? I hope so, because you’re going to love this delicious Tomato Basil Cheese Pie. If you live up north like me, you’re going to have to pin this recipe for a later date (or visit the grocery store for your produce)!
When I first made this recipe for my family, my 9-year-old son looked at it and said, “Ewwww, disgusting!” Like many 9-year-olds, if it looks strange, he promptly decides it must not be appetizing. Ok, so maybe mom can be a bit like that too. But, I’m trying to get better :). I’ve learned to enjoy some new foods in recent years, like asparagus!
Fortunately for me, my boy is good about trying a couple bites even if he thinks it looks gross. He really is quite an adventurous eater (I’m ashamed to say, more adventurous than his mama)! I’ll bet you you can guess what happened…he loved it. He even went back for seconds after his first piece. Not only did he love it, but he couldn’t believe the crust was gluten-free either.
This recipe is a great way to fit some healthy fats and protein into my boys diet. Not only is this recipe healthy and delicious, it’s kid approved too!
You’re also going to love this recipe because it’s quite easy to throw together. It’s not a meal that will take all day to put together (which makes this busy mom happy).
Tomato, Basil Pie with Parmesan Rosemary Crust
- 1 c. almond flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- pinch of salt
- 2 t. rosemary
- 2 egg whites
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 t. salt plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 t. pepper plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 c. cream
- 1 T. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 c. fresh basil leaves - finely chopped
- 1 pound sliced tomatoes (aprox. 3 medium)
For the Crust
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix almond flour, parmesan cheese, salt, and rosemary together.
- Thoroughly combine almond flour mixture with egg white.
- Place dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll into a circle for a 9 inch pie plate.
- Place crust in pie plate and flute edges. Bake for approximately 10 minutes and then set crust aside.
For the Filling
- Whisk together ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, 1/4 t. salt, 1/8 t pepper.
- In a separate cup stir together cream and cornstarch until smooth.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the cheese and egg mixture. Str in the basil.
- Pour this mixture into a pie crust.
- Slice tomatoes and place on top. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake 40 minutes or until center is set. You may need to wrap the edge of the pie crust with foil to prevent over-browning part way through baking.