The Talk series of books will walk you through introducing your child to Biblical sexuality, helping make sense of the changes that happen through puberty, and help your kids navigate the sexual temptations that arise in the teen and adult years.
These three books are available individually, or as a complete set. Save when you buy all 3 books together.
- The Talk (for ages 6-10)
- Changes (for ages 8-12)
- Relationships (for ages 11-14)
Choose either full-color softcover or digital books.
Book 1: The Talk
“If you want to be one of those parents who boldly steps up to the plate to educate your children about one of the most precious gifts God has granted human beings, Luke Gilkerson has made your task oh-so-easy with this step-by-step guide!” – Shannon Ethridge, Best-selling author of the Every Woman’s Battle series
The Talk covers basic theological and biological concepts that children ages 6 to 10 can understand. Each study is anchored in a specific text of Scripture.
- Lesson 1 deals with the differences between men and women, giving children a simple understanding of their own bodies and the differences between male and female sexual organs.
- Lesson 2 discusses God’s command for the human race to multiply, giving children a basic understanding of sexual intercourse and how babies are conceived.
- Lesson 3 addresses the development of human life in the womb, giving children a picture of the wonder of how babies grow and are born.
- Lesson 4 deals with the intimacy that is created through sex, giving children an understanding of the goodness of sex in marriage and how it creates a strong bond between a man and a woman.
- Lesson 5 discusses the sin of adultery, giving children a biblical understanding of why it is wrong.
- Lesson 6 addresses the difficult subject of rape and sexual abuse, reminding children of the importance of talking to their parents about anyone who touches them in an inappropriate manner.
- Lesson 7 deals with the importance of honoring God with one’s body because God has bought us with a price.
Each lesson has an opening discussion topic, a Scripture reading, an explanation of the passage, questions to ask your children, and a prayer. Many lessons are also contain line drawings of male and female anatomy, egg and sperm, and images of how a baby develops in the womb.
The Talk was written for parents to read with children ages 6 to 10 years old. The study supplies elementary-age children with foundational truths about sexuality at a level they can understand.
Book 2: Changes
“THIS is the book I sought and couldn’t find when our children were entering puberty. Changes needs to be in the hands of all parents of 8-12-year-olds. This resource equips parents with a biblical, accurate, short-but-sweet, direct means of having ‘the talk’ about biblical sexuality with their adolescent while minimizing awkwardness for the parents and the kids. Brilliant!” – Vicki Tiede, author of When Your Husband is Addicted to Pornography and Parenting On Your Knees
Changes covers basic theological and biological concepts that children ages 8 to 12 can understand. Each short study is anchored in a specific text of Scripture.
- Lesson 1 looks at the adolescent years of Jesus, talking about how the culture in which Jesus lived recognized puberty as an important phase of physical and spiritual development. The goal of this lesson is to help your child see these changes not as something bizarre, but as something good. Even the Son of God Himself went through them.
- Lesson 2 looks at the process of change in the human body throughout all of life. Puberty is just one of several significant phases men and women go through as they age. Physical changes are a normal part of life and nothing to fear.
- Lesson 3 addresses the mental and emotional changes of puberty, as well as the internal catalyst for change in our bodies: hormones. The goal of this lesson is to teach children there are natural internal mechanisms in the body that guide the process of puberty—created by a loving, wise, and sovereign God.
- Lesson 4 looks at the overall physical changes common to both boys and girls, including basic changes like height, body hair, body odor, acne, etc. This is all part of the natural transition to adulthood.
- Lesson 5 deals with the changes that take place in girls during puberty, such as fat deposits, breast development, and menstruation. These changes are a natural part of what it means to be female.
- Lesson 6 is about changes that take place in boys during puberty, such as muscular growth, facial hair, voice changes, testicular growth, and ejaculation. These changes are a natural part of what it means to be male.
- Lesson 7 will delve into physical attraction. The Bible describes physical attraction as both very good and very powerful. Our kids need to understand both its goodness and power if they are going to steward their sexual development well during puberty.
Each lesson has an opening discussion topic, a Scripture reading, an explanation of the passage, questions to ask your children, and a prayer. The book also contains simple line drawings of male and female anatomy.
Changes was written for parents to read with children ages 8 to 12 years old. The study supplies children with a Bible-based understanding of puberty in a language they can understand.
Book 3: Relationships
“Biblical counselors realize the need for helpful material in dealing with teenagers and sex. The proper application of this outstanding work by parents to children will save broken hearts and crisis counseling in years to follow.” – Dr. Rod Mays, Counseling Professor, Reformed Theological Seminary
Relationships is a series of 11 lessons that are designed to take kids and their parents into a deeper understanding of biblical sexuality and relational integrity.
- Lesson 1 looks at the original goodness of sexuality and marriage relationships as God created them.
- Lesson 2 addresses how sin has brought about sexual brokenness into the world, including our propensity to lust.
- Lesson 3 exposes the varieties of sexual and relational temptations in the world: from masturbation to pornography use to homosexual activities.
- Lesson 4 covers three biblical strategies for avoiding and overcoming lust.
- Lesson 5 discusses how we should guard our hearts from sexual and relational idolatry.
- Lesson 6 talks about how we need to make a covenant with our eyes to avoid temptation.
- Lesson 7 talks about the importance of fleeing sexually tempting situations.
- Lesson 8 addresses the biblical strategy of pursuing intimacy with God and cultivating gratitude for wholesome pleasures.
- Lesson 9 discusses the importance of being wise in our opposite-sex friendships.
- Lesson 10 addresses the value of accountability relationships.
- Lesson 11 gives students and their parents a picture of the life-transforming grace of God for sexual sinners.
Relationships was written for parents to read with children ages 11 to 14 years old. The study supplies pre-teens and early teens with foundational truths about how to steward their growing relational and sexual desires.
You Can Do This!
Teaching kids about sex need not be scary or intimidating. The Sex Ed Series offers parents simple scripts to follow, blending biology with Bible study, all written in simple language kids can understand.
Wanting to teach our daughters about all things related to sexuality from a point of view coming from the bible, I ordered these. I am very pleased with the results.
I read these three books with our 11 year old daughter over the summer school break. We will use them to teach our nine, three and four year old too, when that time comes. These books made it easy to discuss the topic with her. Discussing and teaching our daughter about all the topics related to sexuality has been very rewarding in our home. These books are a must for every home with children. They approach the topic encompassing sexuality from a biblical standpoint.
One of the things that I am happy about, was while reading and discussing the many things related to sexuality, our daughter asked me questions that she has had since fifth grade but has always been too embarrassed to ask. I am not going to say specifics, but a few were jaw dropping, but thanks to the books, I was able to answer all of them. LOL…whewww!
This was all this past summer break, Today, now several months later, (I am so proud of her!) She asks me questions about things she hears at school from school kids and I am so happy she comes to me and her mom for answers instead of her friends.
My wife and I have enjoyed all three work books in this series, especially my connecting concepts with our 15 year old son who was a bit resistant at first but now really loves our sessions together using the topics in this workbook as a set of tracks to run on. We are now looking forward to our 12 year old daughter learning from it from my wife, and our daughter is looking forward to learningfrom it as well. The scripted lessons make it very easy to just read and include the Bible study part comma questions and discussion, and prayer as well!
Rhonda Nelson (verified owner) –
Ordered these for my 8 year old. We started with the The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality. My son was interested and read the whole book in one sitting. It seemed to answer all his questions will scripture and I felt comfortable that he wasn’t given more information than he could handle at the age. Thank you for creating a biblical solution!!!
Kim T. (verified owner) –
This has made a daunting subject very approachable for me. I love that these books are biblically sound and strive to develop a godly mindset in teens.