This homemade sugar-free barbecue sauce is the perfect balance of tang, spice, and sweet. It’s the type of signature sauce that screams ‘summertime’ and ‘grilling’.
Summer is the perfect excuse for grilling. I just love the taste of a good barbecue sauce dripping off of hot ribs, burgers, or chicken. I even like slathering barbecue sauce on my bacon wrapped meatloaf. However, I don’t always like the store-bought version of barbecue sauce. Oftentimes, they are full of sugar which hides the tang of vinegar, the spices, and the sweetness of the tomato sauce.
Why worry about buying sugar-heavy barbecue sauces when you can make your own sugar-free barbecue sauce? A mix here, a dash there, and you have a delicious barbecue sauce that can rival anything in the stores.
It’s so easy! Seriously. I whipped up a batch of this sugar-free barbecue sauce tonight with my toddler hanging on my leg, crawling around my feet, and trying to help; even with all that, it still only took about 5 minutes to whip up.
Looking for more gluten-free resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.
Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp erythritol
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp molasses (optional)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- In a large sauce pan, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Heat on low until sauce is bubbling.
- Continue stirring to avoid burning - about 15 minutes.
- Use immediately or allow sauce to cool and place into storage containers to store (in the refrigerator) for later.
- *The molasses and liquid smoke are not necessary, but I do prefer the added flavor that both add to the sauce.
What about you? What is your favorite food to use with barbecue sauce?
More Summer Food Recipes:
- Healthy Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Grain-Free Graham Crackers Recipe
- Sugar-Free Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream
- Kid-Friendly Fruit Kabobs
- Strawberry Coconut Popsicles