I love this time of year. Apples, pumpkins, sweets, apple cider, bon-fires and warm cocoa. One of my favorite cookies is pumpkin spice cookies.
One thing I don’t love is the over abundance of sugary sweets. But not all things sweet have to be killer to your waist line, your adrenals, your blood sugar, or your thyroid.
This time of year poses a challenge to those of us who love sweets and treats but want to stay healthy. I have had to either do without, cheat on myself with bad sweets and feel guilty, or figure out how to make this all work. I picked the last option this year.
If you haven’t noticed by now, I do like pumpkin. I love it in fact. This time of year is not the only time I use it either! I use it for making pancakes, muffins, grain-free granola and even cheesecake (dairy-free; it’s not that weird, really, I promise).
When I was asked to join the Grain-Free Christmas Cookie series, I knew I had to share these. My Grain Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies were based off of an old favorite, the Sweet Potato Cookies on page 530, from the cookbook Nourishing Traditions. However, those cookies contained maple syrup and grains. Both of which we are cutting down on (if not out) big time in this family.
I tried these pumpkin spice cookies out on my kiddos and the girls and mothers in our Taste of Health class that I am teaching. All of them were eaten up. Every last crumb.
Grain Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup butter softened (or nut butter for dairy free option)
- 3 tablespoons Truvia or other sweetener to taste
- 1 egg or chia egg for egg free option
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice you can sub this out for cloves and nutmeg
- 3 1/2 cups almond meal
- Cream pumpkin puree, butter and Truvia.
- Add egg and vanilla, lightly combine.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Drop a large regular spoon full of the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchement, a silpat, or to a stoneware baking sheet.
- Bake for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Press down gently with a fork.
- Bake for another 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheets.
- Remove and further cool on a rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these yummy, easy Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies.
And guess what? If you are a Trim Healthy Mama, these are on plan. A perfect S to Heavy S treat. You could even have these as a great S snack, or in addition to a protein rich S breakfast. Now that’s what I am talking about!
25 Days of Grain-Free Christmas Cookies
Christmas and cookies go hand-in-hand, but most traditional cookie recipes use wheat flour and other grains. If you are grain-free, or you are looking to cut back on the grains you eat, this cookbook gives you 25 amazing cookie recipes to continue to fill your home with the pleasant traditional tastes and aromas.
Of course, you can use these cookie recipes year round! Your family is going to love having these healthy, delicious alternatives.