Potato salad is one of my favorite summer cookout foods. At least once a summer I must eat my mamas’ amazing potato salad. There’s really nothing else like it! The only problem with it is it’s not very nice to my blood sugar levels. Fortunately, I’ve found a recipe I can enjoy on a regular basis without worrying about my blood sugar. This faux-tato cauliflower salad recipe satisfies my potato salad cravings (and lets me get some more use out of my new Instant Pot).
I’ll be the first to admit cauliflower will never taste exactly like potatoes. As much as we try to make cauliflower into pizza, rice, mashed potatoes, or potato salad, it’s not going to be exactly the same. But cauliflower is just bland enough that it can be an incredible versatile (not to mention healthy) veggie. It can help fill those cravings when you’re looking for the carby alternative.
To Instant Pot…or not?
While you don’t have to have an Instant Pot for this recipe, I find it makes creating this recipe a breeze. I’ve included directions for using the Instant—or not, if you’ve not yet joined the Instant Pot revolution.
When I first got my Instant Pot, I was pretty intimidated by it. I didn’t want to blow up my kitchen. I started off by using a few recipes I found online.
As I’ve gotten more and more comfortable with it and learning how it works, I’ve found it’s become a real asset in the kitchen. I can get foods cooked and done in a fraction of the time using this electric pressure cooker. It’s awesome. You should give it a try 😉
Faux-tato Cauliflower Salad (optional Instant Pot directions)
- 1 large head cauliflower coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise ideally homemade!
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon. pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- Hard boil your eggs either in a saucepan or the Instant Pot. (To prepare in the Instant Pot, see note below.)
- Chop the cauliflower florets into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the cauliflower in the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal. Set to manual for 5 minutes. Quick release.
- Alternatively, you can steam the cauliflower in a pan on the stove until florets are tender, but not mushy.
- Drain the cauliflower using a colander and then place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Chop up the eggs and stir into the cauliflower.
- Chop the celery and onion and add in to the cauliflower-egg mixture
- Make the dressing using the remaining ingredients. Mix them all together in a small mixing bowl. Pour over the cauliflower and mix well.
- If you prefer a less chunky texture, use a fork to slightly mash the ingredients together until you attain the texture you like.
- Refrigerate until you're ready to eat and enjoy the salad!
Note: Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Place 1 cup of water in your instant pot and carefully add the eggs.
- Select the manual setting and reduce time to 6 minutes.
- Quick release after the eggs have completed cooking.
- Place the eggs in the refrigerator until cooled slightly.
I find this process for making hard boiled eggs works beautifully for easy shell removal even with my new farm-fresh eggs!
What are some of your must have summer cook out favorites?