These Mini Ham and Cheese Balls are not only super delicious, they are also a great base recipe that you can be creative with. They are amazing for serving at family parties!
One of those appetizers, that just seem like a “classic” to me are cheese balls. They are yummy and those little balls of deliciousness look cute as can be, surrounded by crackers, veggies, or dippers of your choice.
Well…they look cute until the first person shove a knife into the cheese ball and takes a gouge out of the center of it. Sure, they still taste good, but they’re not quite so aesthetically pleasing after they’ve been carved up.
Enter: the Mini Ham and Cheese Balls!
These adorable mini ham and cheese balls have everything you’ve come to love about a cheese ball, and will look so cute lined up, or piled up (if you’re having a big party) on your holiday table.
Ham and Cheese Balls: The Options!
While I have one ham and cheese balls recipe for you below, there are oh so many options and variations you can use.
- Instead of Vidalia onion, try green onion.
- Instead of ham, try chopped beef.
- Instead of spicy mustard, try a dash of Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce.
- Instead of nuts, roll your cheese ball in bacon and jalapeños.
Oh, the possibilities are endless! Your only limit, is your imagination (tell me what some of your fave cheese ball ingredients are in the comments).
Mini Ham and Cheese Balls
- 3/4 cup ham diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup vidalia onion diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 cup mixed nuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Line a small cookie sheet or similar pan with parchment paper. Pulse mixed nuts in a food processor 5 - 6 times, or more if you want a finer blend. Spoon processed nuts into a bowl. Set aside.
- Into a large bowl combine ham, cream cheese, shredded cheese, diced onion, parsley and spicy brown mustard. Mix well into all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop cream cheese mixture into the palm of your hands. Wearing latex gloves is a must. Roll mixture into a ball. Repeat until finished. This should make 7 - 8 balls.
- Place each one on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- One by one place a cheese ball into processed nut mixture. Using a spoon or your fingers, press the coating onto the cheese ball. Coat evenly. When finished, place Mini Ham Cheese Balls into the refrigerator to chill.
- After thoroughly chilled, serve and enjoy!
If you try my Mini Ham and Cheese Balls recipe, tell me about it in the comments! I love hearing from my readers!