One of those appetizers, that just seem like a “classic” to me are cheeseballs. They are yummy and those little balls of deliciousness look cute as can be surrounded by crackers, veggies, or dippers of your choice.
Well…they look cute until the first person shove a knife into the cheeseball and takes a gouge out of the center of it. Sure, they still taste good, but they’re not quite so aesthetically pleasing after they’ve been carved up.
Enter: the Mini Ham & Cheese Ball!
These adorable minis have everything you’ve come to love about a cheeseball, and will look so cute lined up, or piled up (if you’re having a big party) on your holiday table.
Cheese Balls: The Options!
While I have one cheese ball recipe for you below, there are oh so many options and variations you use.
- Instead of Vidalia onion, try green onion.
- Instead of ham, try chopped beef.
- Instead of spicy mustard, try a dash of Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce.
- Instead of nuts, roll your cheese ball in bacon and jalapeños.
Oh, the possibilities are endless! Your only limit, is your imagination (tell me what some of your fave cheese ball ingredients are in the comments).
Mini Ham & Cheese Balls
- 3/4 cup ham diced
- 8- ounce package of cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup vidalia onion diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 cup mixed nuts chopped
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- Line a small cookie sheet or similar pan with parchment paper. Pulse mixed nuts in a food processor 5 - 6 times, or more if you want a finer blend. Spoon processed nuts into a bowl. Set aside.
- Into a large bowl combine ham, cream cheese, shredded cheese, diced onion, parsley and spicy brown mustard. Mix well into all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop cream cheese mixture into the palm of your hands. Wearing latex gloves is a must, roll mixture into a ball. Repeat until finished. This should make 7 - 8 balls.
- Place each one on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- One by one place a cheese ball into processed nut mixture using a spoon or your fingers press coating into cheese ball mixture. Coat evenly. When finished place Mini Ham Cheese Balls into the refrigerator to chill.
- After thoroughly chilled, serve and enjoy!