Blueberries and ice cream—two things that remind me of childhood summers. I spent several years of my childhood living on the west side of Michigan where the blueberry patches are plentiful. Picking blueberries was a yearly event I looked forward to, but I think my brother, who ate more blueberries than actually went home, looked forward to it even more than I did. The same can be said for ice cream. I greatly enjoy ice cream, but my crazy red-headed brother simply adores ice cream!
Isn’t it funny how certain flavors can bring back memories? So, with a happy nostalgic smile on my face and memories of blueberry picking with my brother, I created this rich, creamy, sugar-free blueberry ice cream. What are some of the flavors that remind you of summer?
Very Blueberry Sugar-Free Ice Cream
- Powder your xylitol if you have granulated xylitol (I run mine through the magic bullet, but a food processor or coffee grinder would do the job too).
- If using frozen blueberries, place them in a colander and run warm water over them until they are mostly thawed.
- Beat the eggs, xylitol, and stevia together until well combined.
- Place all of your ingredients in a blender or food processor and whiz around for a few seconds until the blueberries are partially broken up (it's fine to have a few blueberry chunks in your ice cream!)
- Pour cream mixture into an ice cream maker and run according to manufacturers suggestions. It took about 45 minutes for my ice cream to set up in my ice cream maker.
- This ice cream is best eaten immediately! (but if you have leftovers you can place the leftovers in the freezer and enjoy the next day)
Looking for other healthy, sweet, summer treats?
If you’re looking for more tasty treats to end the summer with, why not try some of these healthy-alternatives to treats we all know and love?!
- Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream
- 9 Healthy Ice Cream Treats (Sugar-Free and Dairy-Free options)
You can also follow my sugar-free desserts board on Pinterest!