I don’t often make many bread substitutes, but every once in a while I get a hankering for a treat. This gluten-free cheesy biscuit recipe came about at just such a time. They are made with coconut flour, which I find a bit tricky to work with, but have been trying to experiment with more lately so I can take advantage of the nutritional benefits of coconut.
One little cheesy biscuit at red lobster will cost you 17 grams of carbs, but only delivers 9 grams of fat and 3 grams of protein. That sounds like a nutritional recipe for disaster. That many carbs from one little biscuit will cause your blood glucose levels to spike and in turn cause fat storage.
My recipe, on the other hand, has only 3 grams of carbs (2 of which are fiber), 14.25 grams of fat, and 19.33 grams of protein. A much better ratio!
6 T. butter, melted
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 cup coconut flour
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk eggs, melted butter, salt, baking powder, and garlic together in a large bowl.
- Blend coconut flour into mixture until no lumps remain.
- Stir cheddar cheese into the mixture until well combined.
- Place rounds of dough about 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
These are delicious straight out of the oven, or warmed up in a toaster or toaster oven the next day!
I hope you enjoy these as much as my family and I did. As you can see below, we even enjoyed these cheesy biscuits the next day for breakfast. We placed 2 biscuits in the toaster and placed an over-medium egg and bacon in the middle. It was quite a treat and a breakfast I could feel good about serving!