This easy baked fish with lemon butter sauce will have you feeling like a chef from the comfort of your kitchen!
I have to admit, the first time I was faced with the task of cooking fish for dinner I was a little apprehensive. At the time I was completing my internship as a cook for an orphan camp in Buryatia, Far East Russia. The main cook told me we were having fish for dinner. I was to prepare it.
Until then, my experience with fish was canned tuna. But this meal was not to be so easy on me. There on the makeshift counter was a pile of freshly-caught fish. Whole fish.
I had no idea what I was doing.
Patiently I was shown how to scale the fish, and then, to my surprise, we chopped the fish into three parts—head, middle, and tail—and threw the pieces into a pot for a stew. Eyeballs and everything.
Needless to say, the Russian kids had a blast watching me eat that stew.
If you’re worried this recipe is going to be anything like that one, rest assured it won’t be. Now a days I prefer to get my fish pre-scaled, gutted, and filleted from the freezer section at our local Costco.
But, just like my Russian fish experience, this recipe is pretty simple. Make a little sauce. Pour over fish. Bake fish. Devour. This Easy Baked Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce recipe is easy peasy and totally delicious enough to make you feel more like a chef and less like a camp cook.
Not only is this easy baked fish recipe easy and delicious, it’s also pretty kid friendly. Which is as important as easy and delicious to this momma of five! My kids love the tangy lemon butter sauce and I love watching the fish disappear from their plates.
While you can use this sauce on many types of fish, I prefer to serve it with wild-caught flounder. Flounder is a light-tasting, cold water fish high vitamin D, B6, and 12, as well as niacin, phosphorus, potassium, protein, and selenium.
If you’re worried about fishy-ness smell and taste, flounder doesn’t have much of it (in my expert mom-opinion, that is). It also tastes delicious in a creamy chowder, or slathered in browned butter, garlic and dill.
Easy Baked Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 5-6 fillets of fish I like to use flounder or hake
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. butter or ghee
- 1 T. minced garlic about 3 cloves
- 2 T. lemon juice about 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 t. lemon zest about 1 lemon
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. parsley
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Arrange fish on jellyroll pan (a cookie sheet with sides) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- When butter is melted stir in garlic. Let sizzle a minute or two until fragrant, then turn off the heat and add in remaining ingredients.
- Spoon sauce over fish (about 1 1/2 tablespoons per fillet) and bake for 10 minutes, or until flakey.
- Serve hot, with leftover sauce for drizzling.
More Easy and Healthy Dinner Recipes:
- Easy and Mouthwatering Sweet Fire Skillet Dinner
- Quick & Healthy Sweet Potato Hash
- 40 Delicious Make-Ahead Keto Freezer Meals
- Easy Gluten-Free Mini Pizzas
- Easy Paleo Honey Lemon Chicken Recipe