Serving a filling, delicious dinner to your family doesn’t always have to be an all-consuming event. This hearty, gluten-free ground beef casserole is the perfect dinner for those days when you need more time together than time spent preparing a meal.
If you love meals that are put together easily and cook without constant stirring, this meal is for you! Who doesn’t need an easy dinner night once in a while?
More satisfying, and healthier than a store-bought skillet meal, this casserole really utilizes your ground beef by taking minimal prep time, and only 30 minutes to bake!
Eating a gluten-free diet can sometimes feel restrictive when you have to pass by some of your previously favorite foods, like pasta. This recipe is akin to a healthier, and gluten-free approved version of lasagna. Except cheesier! Yum!
(Looking for gluten-free recipes and resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.)
Ground Beef Casserole with…Riced Cauliflower?
Riced cauliflower is a great way to add veggies to your dishes without adding unnecessary empty carbs and calories you might find when serving rice. Cauliflower is a great source of fiber, high in nutrients, and low in calories. This veggie really gives you the most bang for your buck in the health department.
When thinking in terms of calories, if this recipe used traditional white rice, you would find roughly 200 calories per cup.
But calories come in under 30 per cup for riced cauliflower. A steep difference!
What about the nutrients you would find in cauliflower? This often-overlooked veggie offers not only fiber but…
- Vitamin K
Did you know cauliflower is also a decent source of protein? There are about 11 grams of protein in one head of cauliflower! Gluten-free, cheesy, filling and healthy—you can’t go wrong with this one!
Hearty, Gluten-Free Ground Beef Casserole
- 12 ounce frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place riced cauliflower in a microwave-safe container and microwave for 4 to 5 minutes until tender.
- Drain cauliflower to remove excess moisture. Place in an even layer on the bottom of casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onions over medium-high heat. Cook until browned and crumbled. Drain well and return to skillet.
- In your skillet, add tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to your ground beef. Stir to blend and heat until bubbling.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs slightly. Add sour cream, cottage cheese, and Monterey jack cheese. Stir to blend. Spread in an even layer over cauliflower.
- Spread the ground beef mixture on top of the cheesy layer and cover with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted and edges are bubbly.
- Top with sliced green onions and serve.
Looking for more fast, healthy dinner recipes?
Check out some of my favorite super easy dinners! These are perfect for those crazy busy week nights when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
- 30 Minute Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps
- Parmesan Salmon & Veggies
- Mouthwatering Sweet Fire Skillet Dinner
- Broccoli Cheese Soup with Bacon
- Baked Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Blackened Broccoli and Shrimp
- Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry