If you’re looking for good-old fashioned down-home comfort food, cabbage rolls are a classic. It really isn’t that hard to remake the classic version into Paleo, Slow-Cooker Cabbage Rolls. This makes the cabbage rolls both healthy and easy for the busy mom to throw in the slow-cooker.
Traditional vs. Paleo Cabbage Rolls
What’s different between these cabbage rolls and the ones my mom made growing up? Not much!
- Rice has been substituted for riced cauliflower. Instead of a heavy grain-laden meal, these cabbage rolls are packed with nourishing veggies—tomatoes, cabbage, and cauliflower.
- Instead of sautéing your onions in canola or vegetable oil, use coconut oil.
Easy, Paleo, Slow-Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ white onion, diced finely
- 1 ½ cups of riced cauliflower (does not need to be precooked)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- Rice your cauliflower using a food processor (or grate it by hand).
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. To prepare the cabbage for rolling, lightly boil it whole and peel the leaves off a few at a time. Cut the core out of the cabbage and place in the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. As the leaves soften, you can peel them off with a spoon or pair of tongs.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of coconut oil , add the onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Combine the onion and riced cauliflower with the meat, and mix by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Take a cabbage leaf, concave side up with the stem toward you, and place a large spoonful of the meat mixture at the stem end. Then roll forward, fold the sides in and end with the seam down.
- Mix the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce in a bowl. Put about 1 cup in the bottom of the slow cooker. Lay the cabbage rolls in with the seam side down.
- Cover with the remaining tomato mixture once the slow cooker is full.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve & enjoy!
What do you eat with cabbage rolls? Growing up, we always ate them with mashed potatoes. Yum!