My family’s very favorite Christmas cookies are these grain-free old fashioned molasses cookies. Before I was gluten-free, I would choose this classic Christmas cookie before any others.
I’ve been baking and tweaking this recipe to get it just like it’s wheat-filled inspiration—and my kids haven’t complained. In fact, they’ve been begging me to make more every day.
Looking for more gluten-free recipes and resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.
Every once in a while, I do use a natural form of sugar, though. Special occasions like birthdays and holidays sometimes warrant the use of sugar. (The naturally sweetened grain-free pecan pie I made for Thanksgiving was to die for!)
The sweet taste of molasses cookies…
For this molasses cookies recipe, I’ve used black strap molasses and organic cane sugar or turbinado. You could likely substitute sucant, rapadura, or coconut sugar in this recipe, but I’ve not personally tried it yet.
I did try to make this molasses cookies recipe sugar-free, but it just wasn’t happening. I couldn’t get the texture or taste quite to my liking. In the end, I decided this would have to be one of those special occasion recipes. I hope you can enjoy them this Christmas season!
Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies (Grain-Free)
- Beat the coconut oil, sugar, molasses, and egg together until well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or more. The amount of time will depend on how cold your refrigerator is. Be sure your cookie dough is very firm when it comes out of the refrigerator. If it's not firm enough the cookies have a tendency to spread more.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into small quarter sized balls. Roll balls of dough in sugar.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
More than just molasses cookies – here’s 25 more Christmas treats
Christmas and cookies go hand-in-hand, but most traditional cookie recipes use wheat flour and other grains. If you are grain-free, or you are looking to cut back on the grains this holiday season, this cookbook gives you 25 amazing cookie recipes to continue to fill your home with the pleasant traditional tastes and aromas.
Of course, you can use these cookie recipes year round! Your family is going to love having these healthy, delicious alternatives.
More Grain-Free Cookie Recipes:
- 47 Amazing Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes
- Banana Nut Butter Cookies
- Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies