Birthday parties for the little people can be challenging when you’re grain-free and you’re trying to limit your kids’ refined sugar intake. They aren’t quite so challenging, though, when you have a delicious cake any kid would love—like this grain-free banana cake with peanut butter frosting!
Looking for more gluten-free recipes and resources? This Everything Gluten Free page is a library of everything gluten free we’ve worked on.
I’m going to be honest here. My kids sometimes have refined sugar. They sometimes have french fries. They sometimes go to grandma’s and get WAY too much refined sugar.
It’s life. We have to do as well as we can. Our family is on our journey towards healthier eating and living, but we haven’t arrived to the pinnacle yet.
In the past couple of years since my kids have gone gluten-free, for birthdays, I’ve usually splurged and purchased boxed cake mixes (you can wipe that look of horror of your face now). Yes, I purchased boxed cake mixes that are totally devoid of nutritional value and packed full of sugar. It was a way to help my kids not feel quite so weird. It was a transitional crutch for special occasions.
One year, for Cameron’s 6th birthday, I decided to ditch the boxed mix. I attempted to remake one of their favorites: banana cake with peanut butter frosting. This cake is totally grain-free and also free of refined sugar and dairy.
And oh…the frosting is just heavenly!
Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 8 or 9 inch round cake pans
- Parchment Paper
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter no additives!
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 round 8 or 9 inch cake pans well with coconut oil. Cut out circles of parchment paper and place on the bottom of the cake pans.
- Mix all wet ingredients together: melted coconut oil, eggs, honey, coconut milk, vanilla, and bananas.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl: almond flour, tapioca or arrowroot flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend the two mixtures together, just until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 38-42 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare the frosting.
- Beat coconut oil and peanut butter on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add honey, vanilla extract and salt and beat on medium speed until everything is well combined.
- Place the frosting in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Beat the chilled frosting on high until frosting is thick and fluffy.
- Frost the cake once it is completely cool!
So, how did this grain-free banana cake with peanut butter frosting turn out? There sure weren’t any complaints and every last morsel was eaten! Try it out. Tell me how you like it! 🙂
More Gluten-Free Cake Recipes:
- Grain-Free Brown Butter Spice Cake
- Grain-Free Coconut Key Lime Cake
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cheesecake