This sugar-free orange creamsicle ice cream will make the kids happy all summer long. And, of course, it’s the perfect adult guilt-free dessert, too!
Ice cream is the perfect summer treat. Well, ice cream is really the perfect any-time-of-year treat (right? I’m right, and you know it). But I like using summer as a good excuse to make creamy, homemade ice cream. And if I can make that treat reminiscent of one of my favorite treats as a kiddo (and be sugar-free), you better watch out…this might be dangerous folks!
Making sugar-free ice cream, my friend, is oh so easy! You’re not going to believe something that tastes so very good can be sugar-free.
Want some more ice cream inspiration? Check out this awesome cookbook: Candida on Ice with over 20 more sugar-free ice cream recipes!
I made this sugar-free orange creamsicle ice cream recently when I had friends over—friends that typically eat the standard American diet filled with lots of sugar—and even they enjoyed it.
You see, this ice cream is strangely reminiscent of those creamy orange creamsicles we ate as children—hence the name of the recipe. It’s got that creamy texture, and sweet orange flavor paired with hints of vanilla.
So what makes it sweet without the sugar?
There are some natural sugars in this recipe from the fresh orange juice. The entire batch has just 10.4 grams of sugar from that orange juice (not too bad, since you presumably won’t be eating the entire batch in one sitting).
However, this orange creamsicle ice cream needs a little more sweet than what just a 1/2 cup of orange juice will give. So, for that xylitol and pure stevia extract are my sweeteners of choice. They are healthy options that won’t raise blood sugar, yet combined together, they have a great taste. If you don’t like these sweetener options, just substitute for your sweetener of choice.
So stock up on the ice cream salt and dust off that old fashioned ice cream maker, because you’re about to give that ice cream maker a workout this summer (and probably every summer hereafter). Don’t worry, you don’t need a fancy, super expensive ice cream maker, I just use this cheap ice cream maker and it works fine.
Sugar-Free Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream
- Powder the xylitol if you have granulated xylitol (I run mine through the magic bullet, but a food processor or coffee grinder would do the job too).
- Beat the eggs, xylitol, and stevia together until well combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients until they are completely combined.
- Pour cream mixture into an ice cream maker and run according to manufacturers suggestions. It took about 45 minutes for my ice cream to set up in my ice cream maker.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!
Time for you to dish. What’s your favorite kind of ice cream? And raise your hand if you’re ready to make this tasty sugar-free orange creamsicle ice cream treat!
More Ice Cream & Cold Treat Recipes:
- Easy, Naturally-Sweetened Chocolate Ice Cream
- Strawberry Coconut Popsicles
- Sugar-Free Blueberry Ice Cream
- Dairy-Free & Sugar-Free Fudgesicles
- Keto Chocolate Frosty